Saturday, April 18, 2015

My Journey Begins

 My History

For several years I have been interested in weight loss surgery. Ive been overweight for many years, many in my family are overweight and this comes with health problems. I have tried Weight Watchers, Myfitnesspal , smoothies and other various ways to lose weight and I never lose more than 10-12lbs. I am at my all time weight high and feel awful about myself. I am very self conscience and hate photos of myself. Like most over weight women, I attempt to find clothes to "cover up" the fat.  One year ago as I was driving to work I listened to a local radio personality, Erica, discuss her journey she was beginning with weight loss surgery. I have listened and watched her as I thought in the back of my mind that I would "one day" like to undergo surgery for weight loss. A few months ago I hit a point in which I was unhappy with what I looked like and how I felt and realized I need to stop putting it off. 

I started my journey by researching various kinds of surgery. I only knew of two kinds. (Gastric Bypass and Lapband) but while listening to Erica, I learned about the Gastric Sleeve. 

The Beginning of My Journey

My journey began when I decided that I NEED to do this. I looked up the requirements on my insurance and discovered what doctors were in network. Then, I looked up those doctors online and did a little research on their website. I learned that I had to attend an informational session that taught about the different types of weight loss surgery and what I needed to talk to my insurance company about. I was happy to learn that I could attend the session online (they also offer one in person but the online session was better for me) Once I completed that session I had to type in a code that I was given and I was emailed a certificate of completion. The following day I called my insurance company with specific questions. Within a few days the surgeon's office called me to let me know that they would be verifying my insurance benefits and once that was confirmed they could schedule my first appointment. In the mean time I continued to research the various types of surgery and learn about the benefits and the disadvantages/complications of each type of surgery. One week later the surgeons office called me and said my benefits were verified and they scheduled my first appointment with them. (Which is in 1 1/2 weeks) 

How Am I Feeling?

I am anxious. I wish I could schedule surgery and just do it right away but this is a process. My insurance company requires six months of medical weight documentation. During the six months I will attempt (once again) to lose weight with diet and exercise with the guidance of a medical doctor. Of course Ill learn more about the process at my first appointment. 

I am excited. I am happy to begin this journey that I have thought about for years now. I am reading and watching others on their journey and talking to friends that have gone through the process.
   
I am guarded. I know that many look at others who have gone through weight loss surgery and say "They took the easy way" or " they are too lazy to do it the right way"  I know how it is viewed by many so I'm not talking to many about this journey just yet. Of course I talk to my husband and my children. I talk to one coworker who has had weight loss surgery. As I get further in to this journey I will tell more people. I do intend to blog about the journey from now until a long time afterwards. 

 
  I will share my thoughts and feelings about this along the way. I will share what I learn from reading and talking to professionals but I am no doctor so please do NOT read what I write and mistake it for medical information. If you have questions about weight loss surgery, see a professional.If you have questions about my personal experience, please email me!

1 comment:

  1. i lost 81 pounds a coupe of years ago and it seemed easy, count calories and walk. now it is killing me that I have gained it all back. I do have a beautiful baby for it but man I wish I could motivate myself to get back to it

    ReplyDelete